Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Setbacks


In life we all face different things that could be classified as setbacks or reasons why we hold ourselves back.

Growing up I have had my fair share of these. Between being told I looked ridiculous when I ran by mean middle school boys, being cast as a Munchkin in the "Wizard of Oz" three times when in my eyes I was a leading lady, being told that I was not cut out for Honors English, getting wait listed at colleges and now being told that I can't run for 6 weeks due to my ankle never fully healing from my sprain.

Needless to say. We've all been there. However analyzing this list, I have to express my gratitude for each of these circumstances.

I looked ridiculous running? Now I can run a half marathon.

Not the leading lady? Great memories from each production I was a part of.

Not "cut out" for Honors English? About to graduate from a writing intensive graduate program within the next year.

Wait listed at my "dream" college? I would have never gone to George Mason University and have made the friendships I did there.

From looking at all these circumstances, I know that my setback from running will open some sort of door for me. Whether it be getting more into cycling, swimming or other forms of exercise, I know that out of this situation good will come. In addition, by going to physical therapy twice a week I know that I will be stronger than before!

We need to be thankful for setbacks because it is what grows us into stronger individuals. I firmly believe that. What are some setbacks you've faced and grown from?

And with that, I'll leave you with this:





Wasn't I the best looking munchkin you've ever seen?




2 comments:

  1. You certainly were the best! Make the most of your setbacks and let them fuel your future. AK

    ReplyDelete
  2. good advice for me as a come out of a big surgery
    thanks for this.

    helps you reason that everything can have a silver lining.
    so glad you shared your blog on FB!

    -gab

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget