Thursday, June 13, 2013

gratitude.


What is gratitude?

As defined by Merriam-Webster, gratitude is a noun that is "the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness."

When doing a simple Google search (oh so characteristic of my millennial generation) gratitude comes up in religions, psychology, as the "Queen of Virtues" and in the form of rocks to give to people.

I started exploring this idea of gratitude last year when I read Brene Brown's book "The Gift of Imperfections". Brene talks about practicing gratitude and how it will truly bring us joy in our lives allowing us to live wholehearted lives.

Watch Brene Here!

This is something that as I embarked onto my 23 year has been extremely important to me and something I have really been trying to work on.

Lately I have really been reflecting on my experience here up in Massachusetts and there is so much to be grateful for....to name a few:

  • I am grateful for the experiences I've had so far within my department and the opportunity to learn
  • I am grateful for the ability to be able to run again and being cleared with the physical therapist
  • I am grateful for the amazing company I've had with my cohort members and student affairs friends 
  • I am grateful for my family and the support they have given me while away
  • I am grateful to be alive and healthy
The other day I had the opportunity to visit Copley Square to see the Boston Marathon Memorial. It really made me realize how amazing this city is and how despite everything they have come together and shown kindness to the victims and individuals present. This is what expressing gratitude is about.


This year I want to continue to express gratitude and continue to pay it forward. So with that I have decided to do it in a way that means so much to me...

The Disney Princess Half Marathon registration has already opened for next year. Because it was my first half marathon, my roommate and I pledged to do it again. This time I got a sorority sister to participate as well. However this time around I will be raising money and running with the St. Jude's Children's Hospital charity group. I have pledged to raise $2000 dollars for this amazing cause while doing something I am passionate about. If I am going to run, I want to do it for something, for someone. This has always been an organization I have cared about and I finally want to give back. 

I thankful for this experience and I am so EXCITED to get started on fundraising! To donate please visit my personal page at:


Your donation will help a child with cancer or another life threatening disease through research and treatment. Your donation will help a family who is facing a tough path in their lives.  

Give thanks, love one another and express gratitude. You'll be glad you did!



No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget