Monday, August 5, 2013

A Very Long, Overdue, Post....


So...it has been quite sometime since I have posted. There is really no rhyme or reason to why it has been so long except that

a) I have truly hit the ground running since my return to Florida
b) I was away for a week at UCLA for the AFLV session of the LeaderShape Institute (we'll get to that!)
c) I've been at a loss of inspiration or words lately...until now.

Since leaving Boston I have been self reflecting a lot, examining where I am going in life, learning more about myself and realizing more about how that experience and other really have impacted me. I have also been realizing what is really important in life and what I need to be successful and happy.

So through the past few weeks I've learned a lot and learned the importance of my favorite quote from Emily Dickinson's poem "I Dwell in Possibility". For those who aren't familiar...

I dwell in Possibility--
A fairer House than Prose--
More numerous of Windows--
Superior--for Doors-- 


Of Chambers as the Cedars--
Impregnable of Eye--
And for an Everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky-- 


Of Visitors--the fairest--
For Occupation--This--
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise-- 


Now. While this may bring you back to high school English, this poem to me is really about going beyond the ordinary, trying new things, seeing new places, being uncomfortable and vulnerable and so much more. This idea was brought back to my attention and revisited after serving as an On-Site Coordinator at the LeaderShape Institute this past July.

Day 4 of LeaderShape, participants have the opportunity to watch a video featuring Boston Orchestra Director Benjamin Zander where he teaches us to a few things such as to see mistakes as fascinating, to sit in the front row of our lives and my favorite to live in possibility.

After this summer in Boston and a week at LeaderShape, this has taken a new meaning to me. After seeing the impact new individuals and friends can have on my life in a short period of time and how doing things that may have stretched me and my comfort zone,  I have realized the next 8 months until I graduate it is crucial that I continue to ease into the discomfort and truly "dwell in possibility".

Whether that means applying to a job in a city I have never been to or going skydiving or trying a new food, I need to start practicing what I preach more and doing things that will make me happy. While I have realized transition is hard for me, I now know how to handle it now and what I have to do to be successful.

I am 23 years old with no commitment to hold me down or stop me. I have the world at my feet, great people on my side and a whole lot to accomplish.

While I have always known this, sometimes it takes a few powerful experiences for me to actually REALIZE it. So with that, I am ready. Will you join me on this journey?



No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget