Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Little Things and the Why


Lately I have been overwhelmed, trying to stay afloat managing my job, two internships, being a teaching assistant for a class, being an alumna advisor for my sorority, training for a half marathon, fundraising, taking class and completing school work and just keeping sane. While time management has not always been an issue for me, it is something that can turn into one. However I have realized throughout all of this WHY I do what I do and what this in turn really means for those students, organization members and myself. I recognize that the surface level things I do on a daily basis have a greater and deeper meaning that I can sometimes find myself wandering astray from and forgetting about.

It is our why that keeps us going, in any situation.

In addition, throughout all of this craziness I have begun to value "little things" more. These little things include, the ten minutes before I walk out the door in the AM where I can enjoy a cup of coffee and read the news, a Pumpkin Spice Latte (they're back!), an episode of terrible television right before I go to bed, writing a handwritten card to a friend, a new Woodwick candle for my bedroom, cooking dinner for myself, a funny Snapchat from a friend, a student telling you you're a great role model, trying to do one act of kindness a day, a good quote or daily inspiration, organizing my gmail labels, trying a new place for brunch...the list goes on and this is the surface level of the little things that have made me happy this past month.

While it is crazy, I love it. And I am grateful because I know that what I do is powerful and that I will and can make a difference.

Do yourself a favor. Honor the little things, revisit your why and reflect upon all this. You will be glad you did!





No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget