Monday, December 30, 2013

A very "non" list for 2014

As the New Year approaches lists and blogs and Buzzfeeds surface with titles like,

"23 Things to Do Instead of Getting Engaged Before You're 23"

"Things to Let Go of in 2014"

"How to be a Good Person in 2014"

etcetera, etcetera, you get the drift.

While I find these lists and blogs, extremely thought provoking, as reading through one I started thinking to myself how my generation is so caught up on these lists.

These lists are very constraining, these authors do not know me as a person, and it just made me realize it is so important to understand ourselves.

Some lists tell you to be healthy in 2014, awesome, I'm an advocate for this, however if I decide I want to eat a whole pizza to myself every night for a month straight, that's my decision (tempting, although I would never do that.)

Other lists say go out and date multiple people and see how that plays out. What if someone does not want to date at all? Or the posts that essentially judge people for being married young, that's their choice, let them be.

Here is my advice for 2014...

Be you. 
Know your voice.
Do what you want.

These are all merely just thoughts that came to my mind recently, but throughout life and something I personally have realized lately is the importance of knowing your own voice. It is so easy to lose ourselves to society and how we have to be or someone telling you things have to be done a certain way. If you lose yourself in that process, the authenticity is gone. So be you.

Ironically enough, I saw this on the billboard outside my middle school today when I went for a run, (left there 2004, what?!)....

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

So with that, happy New Year! I hope to see you all in 2014 and continue to share my thoughts in this space during that time!

xox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget