Saturday, February 15, 2014

Perspective.


So as many of you know the last few months have been extremely stressful, trying and long. This past weekend I was supposed to be at my undergraduate institution as a trip to see my friends, reunite and more. However, due to crazy weather, maintenance issues and every other issue -- I was not able to get out on my original flight, or any flight for that matter.

Needless to say I was devastated and extremely upset -- and still am somewhat.

However, as with any thing in my life, I started to reflect. I put this situation into perspective.

If this is the "worst" thing that's happened to me in the past few months, then I do not have it too bad. If spilling coffee on myself on a Tuesday morning, my alarm not going off on a Friday, having a bad run during the week, etc. etc. makes my week "bad", then I need to change my lens. Many I think can relate to my sentiments.

While I do not think we should dismiss these frustrating feelings, I do believe it is important to really put everything into perspective in order to achieve full and total happiness. Me being able to even have the means to book a plane ticket to go somewhere is a privilege that I have and something that some people will never be able to do. Being able to get up and use my physical self to get exercise is another privilege that some people are not able to have.  Being able to have an iPhone that has an alarm clock is something I should be thankful for.

When I called my mother from the airport on the verge of tears from frustration yesterday, she said to me "No one is sick, no one has died, everything is okay." And that resonated with me. With a theatrical background and being a product of the millennial generation (as much to my advantage or disadvantage that is), it is easy to make things seem terrible, when they really are not.

So where do I go from here?

It is time to put thing into perspective. This afternoon I started watching a documentary on Netflix called "Happy". It opened up with a man in a part of India where there was much poverty. He operates a rickshaw everyday of his life to support his family and does it with no shoes on and little protection from the sun, monsoons, and other weather conditions. The documentary said this man has the same level of happiness as your average American. Wow. It was as if I had started watching something at the most appropriate time.

Now I hope to take a step back, breathe more, observe more and reflect more. While it is still okay to have feelings and to be upset, I need to look at the strategy of using perspective and seeing the bigger picture. It is easy to get caught up in moments and times with high emotion. I need to challenge myself and even challenge others when I observe these moments.

Hold me accountable friends, it is important to me as I strive to live a more empathetic, caring, gratitude filled life this next year.





No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget