Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Weekend I Earned My Glass Slipper

This past weekend I had one of the most transformative and amazing experiences of my life. Last year I ran my first half marathon ever at the Princess Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World, recap found here.

This year, I ran the same race in addition to the Enchanted 10k the day before the half to round out the Glass Slipper Challenge! This was over 19 miles in two days!

While this seemed like such a hard task, the fact that I was doing it for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital made the miles seem easier. What these children and families experience while at the hospital is harder than any race I will ever run, both physically and emotionally.

Because of the collective efforts and support from my family, friends, colleagues, teachers, sorority sisters, high school classmates, the Greek community, strangers, my parents friends, businesses and more, I was able to raise a total of....

$2,225.00!

This has been something beyond my dreams. I was able to surpass my goal of 2,000 dollars and what an incredible feeling that is. I never thought I was capable of fundraising this much money, but knowing that I was able to do it and do it for one of my favorite causes and knowing that the money will go directly to St. Jude is more than any medal or certificate I can ask for.
Every girl loves a little bling!
Because of the support received, we can continue to ensure families never pay a dime to enter St. Jude. 

This donation can cover:

  • Airfare for TWO families to get to the hospital
  • Meals for the families
  • Infant Care Supplies for babies and more!

While I reached my physical goals (something I never thought I could do), I realized that this race was not about me getting a personal record or receiving my best times, but about doing this for St. Jude. By remembering that, I was able to have a magical race and enjoy every single mile. 
These guys gave me a Glass Slipper!
I showed enthusiasm as I ran, high fiving other runners who needed encouragement, cheering for other's on the other side of the road, making friends on my route and even stopping for photo opportunities. I connected with so many amazing and strong people this weekend through St. Jude Heroes and by just being a race participant. By doing all of this, I was able to have the BEST race weekend of all time. Not to mention some of my closest friends were by my side!

What Princesses we are!
The last mile of the half marathon and the weekend the following three songs came on in sequential, totally random (I promise!) order:
  • "Brave"-Sara Bareilles
  • "I Can Go the Distance"-Hercules Soundtrack
  • "Roar"-Katy Perry
Needless to say that was the most empowering mile of my race and so appropriate. It summed up my training, my fundraising and my own personal strength. That whole last mile I teared up and could not stop smiling! I could not stop thinking about the amazing dinner we had the night before with St. Jude family members, the amount of support I had and all of the positive things in my life. 

This was by far one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. While Cinderella gets her Glass Slipper from Prince Charming, I feel that mine came from the support of you all. Without that support I would not be here today! THANK YOU!


Team St. Jude Heroes! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget