Sunday, July 13, 2014

The First Time I Called 911 (well second)


When I was 3 years old, I'm told I picked up the phone and called 911 just to talk to the dispatcher. As a young child I was rebellious in nature and didn't really like listening to the rules.

Also, naturally and appropriately named, I wanted to "gab" away on the phone to some new friends.

I learned my lesson that day and never ever called 911 again.

until today.

Today I denoted as my "sit on my butt all day-binge watch Netflix-have food delivered-with some World Cup-re-energize day". After my first run this morning with a new running group I joined, I came home, made some breakfast and started my enthralling day. In mid bite of my English Muffin, my carbon monoxide detector started talking to me. She told me "CARBON MONOXIDE PRESENT" over and over again. But what was really heard in my head was, "YOU'RE GOING TO DIE, RUN".

So in a panic, I grabbed my keys, the crappiest flip flops I owned, took the detector off the wall and ran outside. I had no idea what to do. In my mind, I thought I had CO poisoning, started thinking about my near death, how I had no will, how my roots hadn't been touched up and how I really just wanted Tina Fey to read my Eulogy. Eventually I calmed down and then realized, that this, THIS was the moment in my life that 911 was a legitimate thing and that I should probably dial out.

So I called them. And sure enough they came, trucks and all. The kind gentlemen of the St. Louis Fire Department came into my place, told me that sure enough there were high levels of CO coming from my gas stove and that I should tell my landlord to replace it. They turned off the gas, fanned out my place and went on their merry way. I asked them if I was going to die, they said no, and then continued to proceed on.

The premise of this story is that, I have never had something like that happen to me and that this is just a part of "growing up" and being an adult. While it seems scary at the time, these things happen and we as humans are more than capable to handle them without the assistance of anyone. While it seems silly I analyzed this, it is true. With transitioning to this more "adult role" comes more adult responsibilities of apartment maintenance, house maintenance, etc. I am thankful I bought a carbon monoxide detector and that I am okay. I have never had the most common sense and I am the first to admit that. Life skills vs. being book smart, I sway one way a little bit more...always have (says the girl who put a fork in the microwave once...ask how that turned out).

This blog post is more of a ramble and a funny story now, but something I wanted to document. Until next time, this is tonight's trial and tribulations of my transition...I am most certainly in what Bridges' would describe "The Neutral Zone". I also will leave you with one of my favorite Sean Kingston song....get it?

xox,
gfr



No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget